Thursday, July 2, 2015

Let's Remove Elitism from Space Travel and Make it Commonplace!



Last night I came across a contest to promote a Rising Star winner to fly to suborbital space on an XCOR Lynx and introduce to “influential” celebrities. (You still have time to enter – deadline is July 3!) I’m very unlikely to win because I was bluntly honest in my answers to their application essay questions, I’m completely unimpressed by celebrity, and I’m probably more experienced than what they’re looking for, but I decided that it didn’t hurt to try.

Two of their application questions really got to me: how having a spaceflight experience would change me and how I would use the experience to inspire others. I know the answers that they were looking for: inspiring children to choose STEM educations, the astronaut overview effect, environmentalism, global unity, encouraging public and political support, etc. For me, those answers are cliché and insincere.

I think about air travel today. I’ve been flying on planes for my entire life. Air travel has changed my life by making it more convenient for me to travel distances. Do those experiences change me as a person, make me more of an environmentalist, inspire me to inspire children, etc.? No, of course not. And I would imagine that only individuals raised in societies where modern technology is rare would be inspired by another’s airflight experience.

I think about air travel 100 years ago when the first commercial passengers experienced flight. I’ve never read anything about early commercial air passengers developing a greater sense of purpose. Did the experience of those passengers inspire others? I very much hope that all of them inspired at least someone to buy a ticket. Early adapters of technology promote the acceptance of that technology. The growth of paying passengers created the industry that has allowed air travel to become as common as it is today.

I think about something I’ve done that’s uncommon: fly in a parabolic “zero G” aircraft. Reduced gravity flights have existed since the 1950s. I’ve had the privilege of flying twice so far. Did my experience change me? No. It was awesome and I highly recommend it, but it did not change who I am, what I believe in, or what I’m inspired to do. Did my experience inspire others? Not to my knowledge. Anyone who thought, “Wow, that’s cool, I wish I could do that!” could buy a ticket. Not everyone can afford a ZeroG ticket immediate, but the vast majority of us could save up for it if we chose to. The experience is open to almost all.

If we continue in the mindset of “right stuff” astronauts, incomprehensibly rich space tourists, and the occasional lucky contest winner, the commercial human spaceflight industry will never grow. Do we want to equate space travel with adventure tourism such as climbing Mount Everest, deep ocean submarine exploration, or Arctic expeditions? Do we want space travel to be seen as only a luxury that few can afford, only the lucky can experience, and the rest can only dream about and be inspired by? I don’t want that. Joy rides and once-in-a-lifetime experiences are not what I’m working in the space industry to develop and promote. My company’s motto is, “Space for all,” and I believe in that.

Married to a PhD economist, I’m no stranger to skepticism about the commercial space industry. The satellite market is profitable and sustainable because it has a wide market purpose. What is the wider purpose of human space travel for the general public that will make it profitable? Transportation is an obvious application, global transportation followed by transport to space outposts or planetary bodies as the infrastructure develops. If many years down the road we discover that planetary body mining or other planetary surface operations are profitable, and if there’s a benefit to having humans in the loop, there’s a potential application. Many, many, many years down the road, when we can extend human civilization into space beyond low-Earth orbit, there are more opportunities.

I’m a passionate space geek, but most of the population isn’t. Do our current astronauts inspire others? Yes, they inspire a tiny percentage of the population who are already inclined to think that space exploration is worthwhile. How many people in the general public know the name of a single current astronaut? How many of us in the industry can name a single current astronaut?

Astronauts inspire me in the sense that I want to fly in space as well, without being “right stuff” perfect. Space inspires many of us because we can imagine ourselves in their place, not as flawless humans or even in the top 10%. The involvement of the average person means progress.

When I fly in space, I want the experience to further normalize space travel. The last thing I want to do is to emphasize the specialness of it, to promote how elite the small group of astronauts is, or to put the experience up on a pedestal so high that the general public can’t touch it except in their dreams. The private space industry is doomed to failure if we take this route.

My goal is to take our industry out of the realm of the elite and make it more open, more inclusive, and more able to change the world that we live in by making it available and even commonplace for the average citizen. I don’t want my future children to dream of floating in space, I want them to experience it first-hand. I want to tell my grandchildren stories about how space travel used to belong only to the elite as we fly on a suborbital vehicle to take a family vacation across the world. I want to inspire others to buy a ticket for themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment