Sunday, April 12, 2015

Yuri's Night Cape Canaveral: From USSR to Florida's Space Coast


Fifty-four years ago on April 12, 1961, the first human launched in space. Cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin's flight marked a new era in humanity that even Sputnik couldn't: people in space. Every year since 2001, Yuri's Night space parties have celebrated this achievement around the world.

My first Yuri's Night was also Huntsville's first in 2008. Some of my friends associated with the local National Space Society chapter HAL5 organized the event at a local bar and restaurant. Being Rocket City, USA, there was a fair amount of interest in the space party. I've been told that the Huntsville events have been getting bigger ever since.


Yuri's Night parties on the Space Coast of Florida have gone through several iterations, each year very different from previous: a giant space celebration in the Astronaut Hall of Fame, two multi-stop pub crawls, a casual art gallery gathering, a packet party at Nolan's Irish Pub, a small picnic, and finally, last night's party at a wine bar in Cape Canaveral.

It's my annual trend and I didn't disappoint: the first thing I did upon entering the bar was stick a Yuri temporary tattoo on my forehead. I also pressed a sticker on my chest but it fell off rather quickly. This year was my husband's first Yuri's Night. He's a bit of a Russia / Cold War history buff so he could appreciate it. He gave me a Yuri Garagin USSR coin from 1991 when we first started dating.



There was plenty to do last night with hors d'oeuvre snacking, wine tasting, space photography, a live band, giant Jenga, a bean bag toss, bubbles, dogs, and an astronaut video recorded on the International Space Station. I mostly chatted with my fellow space geeks, including former Huntsvillian Bart who is pictured next to me in the 2008 photo above. At one point, Yuri's Night leader Ryan recruited me to take a quick video of speeches. Fun was had by all.




Yuri was Russian, but more than that, Yuri was human. Humanity's first step to the stars should be celebrated by all. Someday, I dearly hope that Yuri's Night is a natural holiday and globally celebrated. Until then, we'll just keep partying on year after year in our own way!


No comments:

Post a Comment